It’s the bane of every woman over 40 who colors her hair. You spend time, money and effort to have your hair professionally colored and within weeks, you spot gray at your temples or along your part. Since most of us don’t have the money or patience to see a hairdresser every three, four or five weeks, we have to find a way to camouflage our roots, especially if we have darker hair. Luckily, we have options.
* Try parting your hair a different way. Your hair tends to lay flatter along your natural part. Flip your hair the other way to add volume and hide roots. You can also experiment with messy parts. Gray roots appear more prominent along a straight, perfect part.
* Turn up the volume. Blow dry your hair with a round brush, use large rollers or break out the curling iron to give your hair volume at the roots.
* Break up your color with subtle highlights. These help gray hairs blend by lightening your overall look and drawing the eye away from your roots.
* Color your roots at home. Clairol Nice and Easy Root Touch Up, L’Oreal Paris Root Rescue Coloring Kit, and Roots Only Hair Root Touch Up provide inexpensive, easy ways to color your gray for up to three weeks. When dying your roots, choose a shade that’s slightly lighter than the rest of your color for a more natural look.
* Spray away the gray. New York colorist Rita Hazen developed Root Concealer, a temporary, color touch-up, aerosol spray. Spray on dry hair along the hairline and part for quick and easy gray root coverage.
* Touch up gray with powder. You can buy products specifically made for hair or experiment with eye shadow or blush.
* Color gray hair with a marker. Touchback Instant Gray Root Touch Up works like a magic marker to hide grays so you can stretch the time between hair appointments.
Nobody likes looking in the mirror and seeing gray roots. If they are a challenge for you, experiment with the ideas above and find the one that works best for you. No matter which method you choose, covering your gray roots will make you less self-conscious and more confident.